Telehealth and Online Therapy
Telehealth therapy sessions, such as online therapy, has become increasingly a popular choice for many clients. All online sessions are offered on a secure and confidential platform. While this page serves as a general overview of some of the benefits and, in contrast, disadvantages to online therapy, it does not encompass all benefits and/ or disadvantages.
What are the benefits of participating in online therapy sessions?
– Convenience and flexibility of appointments. No more squeezing one more appointment into an already full day, scrambling to get to your therapist office, spending precious time maneuvering traffic, or factoring in the cost of gas.
– It is private. There does not exist the possibility of running into someone you know in the waiting room.
–Reduces risk of exposure during times of quarantine
– Comfort. You can log on from anywhere in the state of California and/or from the comfort of your own home. This is especially beneficial if you live in a rural area and it is difficult to get into traditional, in-person therapy. Important to note that clients should log on in a place where no one can eavesdrop or overhear the sensitive content of an online session.
– Reduced stigma. Oftentimes clients may worry about the stigma of mental health and attending therapy in a more traditional office setting.
-Getting to the heart of things. Clients, who attend online therapy, may feel a greater sense of anonymity and thus may feel more motivated to get the heart of the challenge more readily than in traditional therapy. This may result in faster healing for the client and a more expedited form of therapy.
– Consistency. If a client is sick, they do not have to cancel as is with traditional, in-person therapy.
– Accessibility. Online therapy allows many clients to overcome barriers that may have otherwise prevented them from seeking therapy thus increasing access to care.
Disadvantages/ Concerns/ Disclaimers
Important to note, online therapy may not be a good fit for some clients. With this in mind, we offer a free consultation to client’s entering therapy to determine if online therapy may be a good fit for you. Further, since we offer online therapy for the whole state of California, online therapy can place the therapist and client at a distance geographically, so it is oftentimes difficult to respond quickly and effectively when a crisis happens. In example, if a client is experiencing suicidal thoughts and/or has suffered a personal tragedy, it can be difficult or even impossible for the therapist to provide direct or even immediate assistance.
Similarily, online therapy is not appropriate for clients with severe psychiatric conditions who require more close and direct treatment.
Online therapy may not be a good fit for you if you are not comfortable with technology. With this, we are able to offer a consultation online through a secure and confidential platform to, in a way, test the waters and determine if online therapy and technology will be a good fit for you.
Connectivity and reliability of your online service provider. Clients will need to ensure they have the proper internet speed in order to reliably connect to an online session. With this, if you can stream a Netflix movie, you should be good to go; however, your therapist will review a plan should a technology issue arise.
Lack of body language and the possibility for miscommunication. While this is a valid concern, it may be easily remedied with consistent, open, and honest communication with your therapist—clarifying when needed.
Is Online Therapy Effective?
Over the last decade there have been numerous research studies that have shown the effectiveness of online therapy.
Here are a few of the research studies that highlight these findings:
If you are interested in booking an online therapy session, please let us know!
This complimentary service is provided for all potential clients to discuss challenges you may be facing and to determine if we may be able to best meet your needs. Calls may last up to 15 minutes in duration.